Thursday, April 2, 2009

I Won't Stop And Falter

Originally posted 3/18/03


Because "A" was bugging me, I'm sending out another Tuesday Tune. This one comes from a Saturday night shopping spree at 01. Having recently worked on some "Album Cover" quizzes (had to name band and album title from just the cover) I realized that I was missing some classic 80's discs that I otherwise had only on vinyl or tape.

I picked up Kate Bush's Sensual World as well as the Psychedelic Furs, Talk, Talk, Talk. From the 90's, I picked up Blur's Modern Life Is Rubbish.

The king of the picks was from '85, though. The heyday of synth pop, by a true master. I bought Howard Jones', Dream Into Action. This is a classic piece album from the days of "Instruments? Who needs instruments? I've got a Casio!"

Actually, I really like this stuff in a nostalgic, "Wasn't this cool!" kind of way. Jones had two great albums, this and Human's Lib and he was a dynamite "one man show" live performer. He proved that a good enough musician could make synth pop work outside the studio.

Anyway, seeing as the following song was written during the height of the Reagan/Thatcher years, I feel it's appropriate once again as we hit the new lows of the Bush/Blair years (though I think Blair should be commended for tempering our cowboy president's gung ho actions as much as possible.) Anyway... as the saying goes, "Things Can Only Get Better."



No comments:

Post a Comment