Friday, May 29, 2009

It Is A Cutting Thing, Growing Old

Originally posted 7/2/03


Yeah... I know it's Wednesday, but I'm sending this out in desperation.

During my lunch hour I stopped in at the Record Exchange to look for some used CDs. (You can find some great bargains if you are willing to hunt through the cheap stuff.) First thing I noticed, though, was that it was no longer "The Record Exchange" and was now, simply, "The Exchange."

Turns out that not enough of their customers even know what a record is. Seriously, the dude behind the counter told me this with a straight face.

Feeling old, here... and it gets worse.

So while I'm scanning through the Electronica section the two young employees were discussing what to listen to next on the overhead system. They decided on some "old stuff" (his words) and put on The Cure Staring At The Sea." The gir... er... young woman laughed and danced and said, "I just love this stuff! It's classic!"

Like as in "Classic Rock" or other OLD things.

I smiled and said, "I owned this on vinyl." Then I made my little purchase asking for a senior citizens discount and staggered out the door on my walker.

Gah!!

So in my attempt to act somewhat hip and current, I'm only going back as far as 1998 for today's tune. Air is a French duo creating ambient electronica with a lot of pop stylings. They are best known for the Virgin Suicides Soundtrack. Their debut CD, Moon Safari, is an eclectic and addictive album that is darn near perfect in it's melding of older pop elements with modern electronic equipment. This is the opening track from Moon Safari, called "La Femme d'Argent"

I like it, even if I think I'm getting hard of hearing in my old age.


No comments:

Post a Comment