Friday, May 29, 2009

This Is How To Use An Organ

Originally posted 2/10/04


Well... Pop/Rock won handily in last week's poll... but then I was never going to stop sending Pop/Rock tunes. That's my true love, but this week, I thought I'd go with the second place vote... something in the Jazz/Blues area.

Now, I'm not a Jazz aficionado... nor can I listen to too much of the blues in any one sitting... but I do like them both. I dug around in my very limited collection for something enjoyable and not too heavy. Sometimes listening to Miles or Mingus can be like reading Literary Criticism. Deep, insightful... but slow going, difficult and not really what I'd call fun.

To that end, I chose a piece from Reuben Wilson. Originally part of the acid jazz and soul/jazz period in the late 60's, Reuben recorded three albums of organ music for Blue Note during that time, but never hit it really big. Wasn't heard from much until the early to mid 90's when retro acid jazz became all the rage and his previous albums became collectors items. (No, I don't have those...) During this time Reuben made new recordings, including the 1998 "Organ Donor." This was a re-recording of his more popular tunes, made with new, young, hip-hop influenced artists backing him up. I dunno from Jazz, and this album didn't get the best reviews, but I find this music infectious. I selected my favorite track. One entitled "Orange Peel." Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment