Friday, May 29, 2009

It Was Good In The Beginning

Originally posted 2/3/04


Quiz: How long until the next date is a sequential set of numbers like today. 2/3/04... hmmmmmmm.

Anyway, back to the Tuesday Tune. Though I live a little too much in the past, I can still find current music that I enjoy. Top of the list in that category is Pete Yorn. (Mr. Fugate anticipated my selection yesterday, by asking if I had any of Pete's music to send to him. Freaky.)

An alt-rocker in the classic singer/songwriter vein, Yorn made a huge splash in '01 with his debut musicforthemorningafter. He was a session drummer and guitarist before this, playing with the likes of Liz Phair. (I read somewhere that he pulled off the dream-come-true scenario, performing impromptu for a record exec and getting a deal out of it.) His "Just Another" was later featured on the WB's Dawson's Creek... which doesn't sound like much of a recommendation, but believe me, even the sappy young adult prime time soaps show some taste now and then.

His sophomore project was the album The Day I Forgot, and while the critics thought it not quite "all that" when compared to his debut, I liked it even better! (I'm an INTP... have to do it MY way, darnit!) There is one clunker of a song that disrupts the flow of the album as a whole, but I personally find each individual track both powerful and catchy. Yorn shows he isn't afraid to let a simple pop hook run free.

I chose "Crystal Village" for this week's tune, striking me as particularly appropriate sentiment for this time of life. It speaks to how things were... and aren't anymore... but without the angst and melodrama. Instead, the lyrics indicate a wistful optimism... acceptance of what is gone coupled with a belief that there is still something new and good to be discovered.


No comments:

Post a Comment