Friday, May 29, 2009

Living In The Gap Between Past & Future

Originally poste 1/20/04


Since I'd heard some comments about the lack of Tuesday Tunes, I thought I'd try again. I looked at the mailing list and had to clean it up a bit... I'm sorry if I left anyone off the previous list.

Anyway... having done some driving over the past weekend, I had a car full of music. This was a CD I hadn't listened to in a long time. Once again, my choice is evidence of my rather eclectic tastes and 80's alt-pop-rock bias.

As past Tuesday Tune ramblings have indicated, I certainly tie my personal history to music. The songs I was listening to define the times. In my mind, certain albums are the definitive of their era. For the 80's, I've always felt that The Clash's London Calling was the album that ushered IN the decade (technically 1979, but hey, this is just my opinion). Not nearly as well known though, I feel that Kate Bush with The Sensual World was the last truly 80's album.

In my world the King of 80's pop wasn't Michael Jackson, it was Peter Gabriel. Kate Bush was the Queen. Mainstream may have had Madonna, but Kate was the true original. Though she had one more studio album in '93... The Sensual World was truly her big finish. The techno-layering of the 80's still comes through, but you can see that she grew up with the decade. This album shows her maturity as she begins to leave much of her eclecticism aside and delving into some truly lush sounds. Her voice, always unique, powerful and stirring, never sounded so good.

My favorite song off the album is "Love & Anger", which I've attached here. It is a strangely practical, cathartic, introspective, almost-love song that has a sense of both "past & future" (as she puts it) to it's message. Her final, husky, satisfied "Yeah" at the end seems to me a fitting send off for the decade of my youth.


No comments:

Post a Comment