Friday, March 13, 2009

Everybody Happy As The Dead Come Home

Originally posted 11/5/02

---

First: Haiku from last Saturday night...

Bouncing, all laughing
Often bruised and collapsing
Trampoline beckons


From my recent experience on the trampoline, I'm tempted to submit Lil Bow Wow's "Bounce With Me" as the song of the week. Then, I thought I'd look for something a little better.

Ok...next...

In honor of the recently arrived BFA, now known as Esme, I looked for any songs by that name. I found one..."Esme"... by a British Jazz/Pop artist named Andy Sheppard. His self titled album came out back in 1988, and seems to be out of print. I'm actually intrigued enough by this to try and track it down, but that could take a while. Not going to make it for this Tuesday.

Strike Two.

So... late for Halloween, I'm submitting Shriekback, "Nemesis" from their album Oil & Gold. I noticed that Carla had this on her list, and Andrea knew about this group as well. It is rare that I run into folks who know this band. An 80's New Wave, dance, alt-rock band... this song was a staple on the "alternative nights" I frequented at Graphitti's on Thursday's. (Unfortunately that bar is long gone.) Shriekback was one of the few bands successful at incorporating electronica with incredible bass lines from Dave Allen (formerly of XTC), adding haunting rock/dance arrangements without becoming synth-pop or goth.

Their greatest song is probably "Gunning For The Buddha" off of Big Night Music, but I couldn't resist exposing you all to the only song I know that effectively used the word "parthenogenesis" as a lyric.



No comments:

Post a Comment