Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Nothing Fuels A Good Flirtation

Originally posted 9/17/02

---

A couple of weeks ago, I completed one of the most successful music shopping days I've ever had. New releases are on Tuesdays, so I often stop by 303 to see what has come out. That Tuesday was something special. Not only did I pick up some remastered The Who ("Tommy" and, for the first time "My Generation" finally in stereo, in a special edition double disk) but I also picked up Badly Drawn Boy, Coldplay... and best of all, the new Aimee Mann album.

I never paid much attention to 'Til Tuesday back in the '80s, but with Whatever in '93 she proved to be THE savior of Alt Rock in the '90s. I'm With Stupid... in '95 almost broke through big time... but her next album Bachelor No. 2 was held in limbo by her record label. They didn't think she was marketable. Only after a lengthy legal battle to win back the rights to her own music was she able to release this superb album.

Wrapped in inventive pop stylings, her lyrics are what deliver the killing blow. Always clever... always resigned and bitter... you'd think she was the ultimate relationship loser. She is actually in a long term, happy marriage to singer/songwriter Michael Penn, as far as I know. Lost In Space, her new album, is even darker and more biting than ever. Probably her best yet, it is still one that requires care if listening while driving. You may find yourself swerving toward steep cliffs and/or into oncoming traffic.

"The Moth" is my favorite song. Simple and true, with one of the best lyrics ever written, IMO.



No comments:

Post a Comment