Friday, March 13, 2009

Tuesday Tune Talk

Originally from 10/28/02

The Tuesday Tune generated some musical discussion which culminated in some Top 10 lists that I thought I'd share.

---
From JFA:

I've been working on this list for weeks now and am frankly tired of having it sit next to my desktop so I thought I would send it out this morning. The baby has heard all of them so should be prepped once s/he decides to join us topside.
Following Steve, Cindy and Jamie's leads of several weeks ago, this is my list of.....
GREAT ALBUMS FROM THE EARLY 90'S AND BEFORE THAT I CAN'T PUT AWAY
1. Nevermind Nirvana
2. Joshua Tree U2
3. Synchronicity The Police
4. Graceland Paul Simon
5. Blonde on Blonde Dylan
6. Blood on the Tracks Dylan
7. Sticky Fingers The Stones
8. Exile on Main Street The Stones
9. Little Creatures Talking Heads
10. Legend Bob Marley
11. Any Beatles but mainly Sgt. Peppers and Revolver

Elvis Costello would be on this list but I can't decide which one since I didn't really become a fan until the mid 90s. At this moment, it would be This Year's Model.

Okay, as you can tell, this waiting for the baby to show up is kind of like those first 15 minutes of a party when you're waiting for the first guests to come. You do anything to keep yourself busy.

---

My Reply:

Looking back at an old, and unrevised list of Top 10 from the '80s... here is what I've found...

Top 10 Albums of the '80s (not just favorites, but influential works as well)

U2 - Joshua Tree
Peter Gabriel - So
R.E.M. - Life's Rich Pageant
Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense
Beastie Boys - License To Ill
Tears For Fears - Songs From The Big Chair
Sinead O'Connor - The Lion & The Cobra
The Cure - Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me
Living Colour - Vivid
Roxy Music - Avalon

(Other notables that wouldn't necessarily be on my personal list, but were great albums...
Bruce Springsteen - Born In The USA
John Cougar Mellencamp - Pink Houses
Richard & Linda Thompson - Shoot Out The Lights
The Clash - London Calling (barely makes it, as it was released January of '80)
Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back


Top 10 Favorite Albums (my choices, pure and simple)

Billy Bragg - Worker's Playtime
Peter Gabriel - So
Lloyd Cole & The Commotions - Rattlesnakes
Robbie Robertson - Robbie Robertson
Simple Minds - Sparkle In The Rain
The The - Infected
Shriekback - Oil & Gold
Chris Isaak - Heart Shaped World
R.E.M. - Document
Waterboys - Fisherman's Blues

(Almost rans...
Elvis Costello - Imperial Bedroom
Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden
Joe Jackson - Night & Day
Pete Townshend - White City
Big Audio Dynamite - No. 10 Upping Street
Prefab Sprout - Two Wheels Good
Guadalcanal Diary - Jamboree


Top 10 Favorite Singles of the '80s

The Church - "Under The Milky Way"
The The - "Uncertain Smile"
Pop Will Eat Itself - "Can U Dig It?"
Echo & The Bunnymen - "Lips Like Sugar"
R.E.M. - "It's The End Of The World As We Know It"
Psychadelic Furs - "Ghost In You"
Ministry - "Stigmata"
They Might Be Giants - "Don't Let's Start"
Jane's Addiction - "Jane Says"
Jerry Harrison - "Man With A Gun"

Some "Guilty Pleasure" albums from that period...

Suzanne Vega - Suzanne Vega
Underworld - Underneath The Radar
Jon Astley (no NOT Rick Astley) - Everyone Love's The Pilot (Except The Crew)
Hipsway - Hipsway
Love & Money - Strange Kind Of Love
Phil Collins - Face Value

---

From CW:

In no particular order, my albums that I can't seem to put away...(Most of which fall into the 90s)

U2 - Zooropa (really any U2 however, this one is always at the top of my list)
Shriekback - Oil & Gold
James - Laid
Live - Throwing Copper
Boingo - self titled
Indigo Girls - self titled
Pearl Jam - Ten
Jesus & The Mary Chain - Stoned & Dethroned
Pink Floyd - The Final Cut

---

I thought this was interesting, because I'd say my Top 10 has definitely changed in my reflection on the 80's, but I still love all this music.

No comments:

Post a Comment