Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Going Home With Someone Else

Originally sent 9/10/02

---

I'd never heard of Jill Sobule, before last year. She has two albums out, and appears to be well respected in the music community, but I was ignorant of her charms until I caught her in concert. I went to Chicago to see Lloyd Cole (more on him later) with his new band, the Negatives, at Park West. (An excellent small venue if you ever have chance to see a show there.) Jill plays in the Negatives, and was the opening act, doing her own material. She was flat out hilarious, and extremely engaging with only herself and a guitar. Biting lyrics that are full of pathos and humor. I bought Pink Pearl on the spot, and was lucky enough to have Jill sign it.

"Mexican Wrestler" is a syrupy song of heart break, with the appropriate ironic metaphors for relationships that just crack me up. I wish I had a live version of this tune, as she really belted it out in an aggressive, angry manner in concert.



No comments:

Post a Comment