Friday, March 13, 2009

Sometimes You Just Gotta Dance

Originally posted 10/24/02

---

Well... something came up, earlier in the week. Many of you would call it work... I simply called it HIGHLY inconvenient. Sheesh. When's a guy supposed to have a chance to goof off on the computer?

Anyway... Jane badgered me again and again about missing Tuesday's Tune. (Actually, she sent one, gently phrased question in an e-mail, but badgered sounds better.) But... because it was Wednesday... and Wednesday's Tune is without alliteration... I couldn't send it out yesterday. Without alliteration... what are we?

So, we have Thursday's Tune. (Technically, still without alliteration, but the first letters are the same and that will just have to do.) In my personal listening, I'm still stuck on Beck and Rachid Taha... alternating back and forth between these albums constantly. They get better every time I play them. I had to really step back and try to think of another artist to share with you all.

In the past I've tended to focus on some of the sad and nostalgic, angry and melancholy sounds, but there is some music that I listen to for fun. Some of the high energy electronica that developed throughout the 90's is what gets my foot tapping and the blood flowing. Bands like the Chemical Brothers made Big Beat and Club music much more mainstream and, of course, this made them reviled in some circles. I love this kind of music when it's done right and probably the best band to jump wholeheartedly into this scene is the Propellerheads. Two Brits, Alex Gifford and Will White, these guys mix drum & bass, hip hop, jazz, rock and spy movie themes to create some really fun music. This kind of stuff makes me feel young again.

I could select a number of songs off of their album Decksandrumsandrockandroll (including "Spybreak" which was used in the Matrix during the huge shootout scene in the elevator lobby) but my favorite song of theirs is below. Topping out at near 10 minutes long! Guaranteed to have you red lining your car if you listen while driving! Caution advised... dancing may ensue!

This is "On Her Majesty's Secret Service"



No comments:

Post a Comment