Monday, March 30, 2009

I Forgot Cranberries Too!

Originally posted 12/24/02

---

Despite the lack of any comment on my "Thanksgiving" selection ("Appetite" by Prefab Sprout), I thought I'd try to stick with the seasons and send out a Christmas song. Whether you celebrate the holiday or not... whether it is spiritual or secular... the sheer fact of Christmas is something that can't be ignored.

So here is a little pop ditty by The Waitresses called "Christmas Wrapping". Considered a "One Hit Wonder" group with their '82 hit "I Know What Boys Like" this post-punk, new wave band put out two albums before self destructing. (Plus they did the theme song for "Square Pegs" if you remember that show.) Unfortunately the lead singer, Patty Donahue, died in 1996, of cancer. Her vocal stylings are what sold the biting lyrics, and put the Waitresses on the map... at least for a little while.

Enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment